Sunday, August 24, 2008

Harvesting: An Onion Dig


Onions, Can You Smell Them?
Originally uploaded by wenjomatic.

Dig is not really an accurate word for what I just did with my onions. I learned that when onions are ready the greens lay down and begin drying. Mine started this process 7-10 days ago. Also, what I read said that once ready, they practically spring out when you tug on the foliage.

Sure enough. They do. It took me all of 3 minutes to snatch them all out. There were a few that could have remained another week or so, but overall they were ready. They were co-planted around my broccoli and peppers (big plant in the center of the square, 8 onions in a halo around the edges of the square) so I had to get down on my hands and knees to reach around the center plants, which are still producing. This is my first one-time/full sort of harvest and I was smiling ear to ear. I kept giggling to myself that if one of my neighbors happened to come out at that time they’d have thought I’d lost it (again) seeing me all crouched down like that grinning.

Oh well. My onions are happy so I’m happy. There’s quite a variation in size here, which will be VERY convenient for cooking, depending on what I’m making and how much I need. I do wonder how they can vary this much all in the same garden box, all planted at the same time, all getting watered together. Surely sunlight must be the answer. The ones on the outer edges of the box, less blocked by bigger plants, are the jumbo ones. But not without exception, some of the innermost were bigger too.

So now to dry… they are laying out back now, on the newspaper. I left them in full sun for this afternoon. The dirt was pretty damp and needs to dry so I can brush it off before they lay out and cure for a couple weeks. Then to storage for winter. These will get us a far way into winter, but not all the way through. I’ll definitely plant more next year.

Onion Harvest 2008

No comments: