Monday, September 01, 2008

Hot Salsa - Homemade Variety


Salsa In The Making
Originally uploaded by wenjomatic.

Today I skinned and stemmed my available tomatoes then gathered all the other ingredients for home canned salsa. The chopping, as always, is the most time consuming part. I boiled hot water first and poured it over the tomatoes, making the skins slide right off. The onions and bell peppers are from my garden too, hot peppers a mix of jalapeno from a neighbor and serrano from the market.

My house smells so good... and pretty spicy. I went out back for a bit, then walked back into the kitchen. Whamo! I was hit with the aroma of hot peppers. This stuff might be very HOT in a few weeks. We shall see.

Recipe shared by gubeedal from Folia....

4 cups tomatoes peeled and chopped, 2 cups seeded chopped long green peppers (I used a mix of regular bell peppers and banana peppers), 1 cup seeded chopped hot peppers, 3/4 cup chopped onion, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar, 6 oz tomatoe paste, cayenne pepper to taste,

Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. pour into sterilized jars. Process 30 in boiling water bath for minutes. Makes 3 pints.

**note: to adjust the heat of each recipe, remove the seeds and veins of the hot peppers.

Hot Salsa Macro Bell Pepper Harvest 8 pints Hot Salsa

No comments: