Friday, September 12, 2008

One Great Day


Abi's Preschool
Originally uploaded by wenjomatic.

Monday morning... I sent Andrew out the door with Don to walk to school. Abi woke up a little later, had breakfast and got ready then I walked her down to her first day at preschool. We had a brief parent meeting and I headed back home 30 minutes later. As I did I looked over and there was Andrew on the playground at the school across the street. His teacher saw me and waved me over. We stood there for about 10 minutes chatting, laughing and watching the kids. (I love my town and that the schools are on my street... it's all very Norman Rockwell.)

Basking in the afterglow of a beautiful start to the day with beautiful children who are doing beautiful things... I walked him enjoying the alone-ness that comes with having school-aged children. I came in the house, folded a quick load of clothes and put them away, dusted the down stairs then sat down at the computer with a cup of coffee to catch up on things. I made couple phone calls. Then I sat out on the front porch for a bit, thumbed through a magazine. I decided the kitchen sink needed scrubbing so I got out the Comet and a toothbrush. Did that. Walked around in the garden for a bit. Still more than 30 minutes left before pick-up time for Abi. Put out some ground beef to thaw for dinner. Ran upstairs and made the kids beds.

What in the heck? I know every day won't be like that.. I will be volunteering in the classroom, I'll be constantly chasing things down as room-mom, the house keeping will fall behind at some point. But for that day, just that moment in time... I felt in control of my little carved out world. I felt like I had a handle on things. Duties were done. Everyone made it where they were supposed to be with matching socks, clean faces and full bellies.

It all sounds so good right? But why did it have to go so well? Now I'll be so disappointed when it goes bad next time.


Abi Ready For Preschool

No comments: