Sunday, September 09, 2007

Super Andrew


Super Andrew
Originally uploaded by wenjomatic.

Here is my little man modeling his Halloween costume a little early. Yes, I said Halloween! For those of you who know us, you know we've not participated in Halloween in the past because of our beliefs and desires to abstain from things we feel are openly evil. But all it took was Andrew, after handing out candy last year, saying, "Daddy, I'd really like to dress up next year and go trick-or-treating."

Daddy is a softy and he can see, now, the fun and childish side of Halloween. We are not of this world, but we do have to live in it, as the Avalon song, In Not Of, says. I must confess, I'm thrilled... THRILLED... that the kids will be dressing up and going out. I have very fond childhood memories of Halloween growing up. My big bubba, Randy, was a holiday decorating extraordinaire. And although we won't be putting any tombstones in our yard or hanging ghosts from trees, we can enjoy the lighter side through our children's eyes.

I'm very happy about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cutest Superman ever! ;) I hope he enjoys every second of his trick-or-treating.

I grew up a Jehovah's Witness, and never once dressed up and went trick-or-treating. It's hard, because while I knew my parents' reasons and our beliefs, as a little kid, all you think is... my friends get to dress up in silly costumes and get tons of candy, and I don't!