Monday, April 02, 2007

Mom's Comb


Mom's Comb
Originally uploaded by wenjomatic.

When my mom died on Christmas day, just 3 months ago, after an 18 month battle with ovarian cancer it was hard to make the thousand mile drive with the family down to Alabama, knowing what I'd be facing. The loss of my mother.

As we drove for almost 17 hours, my mind flashed over the years of my childhood and my adult days of going "back home." And oddly enough, the one thing that was part of all of that was this pink comb that belonged to my mom.

We are not sure of its origin. Mom thought she got it from my dad's mom (her MIL)... Dad thinks they may have bought it when they first got married. No one is quite sure. But what I do know is that its older than I am. Its combed my hair thousands of times. I have vivid memories of sitting in the floor on Sunday nights after a bath, eating grilled cheese sandwiches in the living room floor (picnic!!!!). I would nibble, we'd watch Wild Kingdom and the Wide World of Disney (70s!!) as a family and my mother would comb out my long blond hair.

I asked Dad for the comb just a couple hours after we got down the day after Christmas... the day after mom died. And it came back to Pennsylvania with me. It now combs the hair of my family. Its had long service and shows signs of miscoloring and a couple broken and bent teeth. But its my treasure. Its my mom.

No comments: